Dr Lourens Coetzee’s love for photography and art combined with a passion for mathematics and optics explains his special interest in Cataract, Cornea and Refractive surgery.
His ophthalmology practice embodies his slogan: Passion for people, passion for eyes, passion for technology.
After completing his ophthalmology degree at the University of the Free State he further developed his skill in cornea and refractive surgery under the guidance of Dr. Johan de Lange before starting his own
He has also attended numerous international courses including:
- Ziemer Academy course on blade-less cataract surgery at the Singapore National Eye Centre
- Retinal Surgery course at the European Vitreo-Retinal Training School in Bremen
- Advanced Keratoconus wetlab course/Bowman layer transplantationat the Nertherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery
- DMEK Wetlab Course at the Nertherlands Institute for Innovative
- Ocular Surgery
- Forefront Refractive Surgery: LASIK, Presbyopia Correction & SMILE atLondon Vision Clinic
- Refractive Fellowship Course at Wellington Eye Clinic
He also has experience in high volume cataract surgery due to the fact that he was a consultant for NGO’s like Doctors for Life and African Vision.
He is committed to research in refractive and cornea transplant
surgery and a partner of the Keratoconus Foundation.
He also regularly presents at congresses.
His family are his inspiration to reach great heights.
- Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
- Corneal intra-stromal ring segments (CIRS)
- Corneal cross-linking (CXL)
*Lasik Extra (with crosslinking)
*Epi off CXL
*Athens protocol CXL
- Corneal transplants including lamellar grafts
- Pterygium surgery
- Management of dry eye disease